In this book, prolific chess author Cyrus Lakdawala recommends a repertoire for White players who like to open 1 e4. The repertoire is based around two main themes:
- The suggested variations for White are ones that rely far more on a generic understanding of strategic ideas rather than the memorisation of reams of opening theory. This explains the choice of the Bishop’s Opening (handled “Lopez-style”) against 1...e5 and the Bb5 variations against the Sicilian Defence. Both these lines are designed to create dynamic and interesting middlegame positions rather than attempting to score a quick knockout victory – a generally overambitious aim that often backfires
- The variations are chosen so that White can gain space whenever possible. Therefore the Advance Variation is recommended against the French Defence (1 e4 e6 2 d4 d5 3 e5) and also the Caro-Kann Defence (1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 e5). The fact that these lines often create similar middlegame structures is helpful for general comprehension of White’s plans.
- Everything you need to know to open 1 e4 with confidence
- Solid, reliable systems that do not require a mass of memorisation
- Written by one of the world’s leading chess authors
ISBN: 9781781944752, Paperback, 336 pages, Everyman
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.